Hawaiian Merry Christmas Chicken! We couldn’t think of what to call the dinner we made tonight. It was marinated in a Hawaiian sauce, and I couldn’t get the song from National Lampoon Christmas out of my head. So it works, right?
We had a Sous Chef to help us out. He’s just a seasonal employee. 😉
Here’s the recipe and step-by-step guide to what we made tonight:
1. Gather the necessary ingredients:
- Fried Rice
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chives (more or less to taste)
- 1 egg
- Minced garlic
- Soy sauce
- Olive Oil
- Hawaiian Chicken
- 1 lb breast
- 3 T Hawaiian marinade (brand of your choice)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (we used orange)
- 3 T crushed pineapple (fresh or canned)
2. Combine Hawaiian marinade with chicken; let sit while you prepare the rice.
3. FOR FRIED RICE
- Bring skillet to medium-heat and add 1 T of olive oil
- When oil is hot, add the peas, carrots, chives, and garlic into the skillet. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add the cup of brown rice.
- Mix all of the ingredients well.
- Now create a hole in the center of the mixture. This is where the egg will go.
- Crack an egg into the center hole.
- Stir in the center to create a scrambled eggs mixture.
- When it is just about done, mix it with the rest of the ingredients and add a splash of soy sauce.
4. FOR HAWAIIAN CHICKEN
- Put 1 T of olive oil into the skillet. Bring it to medium-high heat. Then add the chicken. It should take about 5 minutes per side.
- While that start cooking, start a separate small skillet with 1 T of olive oil.
- Add the onions and peppers with salt and pepper to taste.
- To speed up the cooking time for the chicken, we cut it into smaller slices while it was on the skillet. Then, we added the onions, peppers, and pineapple. Stir it all together.